Friday, July 4, 2014

An Elevated Experience

That feeling of excitement and elation. The same one that often comes complimentarily bundled with apprehension and a tinge of fear. Fellow readers, prepare to plunge into the wild blue sky with the author, as he recounts his first experience traveling as the birds do - in the cotton-cloud filled sky. 


From my home state of Indiana to the hospitable southern city of Atlanta, Georgia, I had quite the couple of days before me in just the hustle and bustle of travel. 

Arriving at the Indianapolis airport at a timely 2:20 with my family, who graciously provided transportation, if not only in  an appreciated attempt to steal as many more minutes with me before my month long departure, I was quite pleased with what I saw. 

For those who are not familiar, I have never flown on a commercial flight, let alone an international one.

Above: the uncertain author,
 contemplating his first airport experience through an obligatory selfie. 


 Being my first experience in a airport, I expected baggage and security to be an absolute nightmare. Imagining big and burly security guards ready to drag you away at the smallest hint of a loose bottle of harmless contact fluid. 

But alas, those fears were for naught, as nothing but a smiling attendant greeted me and my parents as I checked in baggage. 

Nice airport, right?


Next up was the actual flight. Suddenly worries of being placed next to squeakers ( small children ), or the overly dedicated business salesman went rampaging through my mind. 

Again, the worst did not materialize, as I was placed by the most adorable elderly lady, bopping her way home to California after a trip to Italy to visit her son. Her stories were brilliant: short and sweet, and right back to her gardening book she went. 

Pretzels, the new peanut!

The other half of the flight was marked with the amazingly clear view I had. At 35 thousand feet, it becomes all too easy to lose any sense of size. Suddenly the colossal and majestic mountains below became small anthills, and the city sprawl went out forever, looking more like white fungus along a vibrant lawn of never ending forests. 

That is, if the cotton candy clouds don't distract you first!
Blinding mountains of fluff, continuing on as far as the eye dares to see. A more wonderful sight I haven't seen in some time. 

One more "meat packed flying metal tube powered by liquid dinosaur" trip to go, and then my toes will be on British soil. 

Until next time readers!

- the splendid Tyler


No comments:

Post a Comment